Friday, April 11, 2008

Board Out of My Mind

I'm so glad Erin posted about planting flowers because I was SO going to do that, but with the gloomy (and frigid) weather, I have lost all motivation to garden. Which I didn't have much of anyway since I have absolutely no skills in that department. I consider it my one weakness. Anyway, on to flowers. The Z-girl and I made flower name cards for our Family Home Evening board. It went a little something like this:

Supplies:
Paper
Your preferred method of adhesive
Anything you want to decorate your flowers with (for me that was crayons and still more paper)
Ribbon/String/Yarn to hang flowers
Flower Template (if you don't trust yourself to draw a perfectly symmetrical flower)



Since I have a 2-yo I just let her scribble on the papers and then I incorporated those papers into the flowers. I kept it simple mostly because this is all my child is capable of and my craft closet consists mostly of scrapbooking supplies which are mostly too expensive to let a toddler play with. I know, I'm working on it. I had to finish some of it after she went to bed because she lost interest before I did, but she did master the words "glue," "scissors," and "push harder"- she holds the end of the crayon in her little bitty fingers and skims it across the page (or table, or wall). Here is the result:


In hindsight, I probably would have laminated the flowers. I also would have hung that sign about three inches higher. I forget how tall that kid is until she's pulling things off the wall.

2 comments:

Erin said...

That is really fun Desta. And you can make new name cards according to season (if you don't run out of steam and have flowers all year long, like I might!) And hey, now we know how many kids you are going to have...because you can't have more children than spots on the FHE chart!

Deneal said...

Thanks for posting, I love the sign! What a great way to let Z participate and practice her writing skills. And it's adorable too!