Monday, October 20, 2008

Book Club: Music


Book: Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. I'm sure we have all read, or at least heard of, this fantastic book (by Bill Martin, Jr. and John Archambault; illustrated by Lois Ehlert) that teaches kids the alphabet. The rhymes are contagious, and I hear my kids walking around the house chanting them: "Skit skat skoodle doot. Flip flop flee. Everybody running to the coconut tree."
Activity: Get drums, maracas, or even just hands, and every time you say "Chicka Chicka BOOM BOOM" make noise with the beat. This helps children understand rhythm. It's not necessary to sing a song in order to have rhythm. Chanting in rhythm is fantastic.

Book: Any book with Mother Goose rhymes. The favorite at our house is My Very First Mother Goose, edited by Iona Opie and illustrated by Rosemary Wells. My kids love looking at the pictures, and we have read it so many times that they have many of the rhymes memorized.
Activity: Many of the rhymes have also been written in song form. Some of the rhymes that you may know as a song: Baa, baa, black sheep; Little boy blue; Hickory Dickory Dock; The brave old duke of York; Polly put the kettle on. We even have a cd with Bananas in Pajamas singing some Mother Goose rhymes. Children could listen to the music on the cd while following the words. Or, of course, you can sing the songs together. Singing does so many things - it helps them memorize the words, it brings joy to the house, it teaches notes and rhythm, and it gives kids confidence. I love singing songs with my kids!

Do you recommend any books about music, or books that could somehow include music learning or fun?

4 comments:

Kristie said...

Hi Deneal! I haven't checked here for a while, but i was just called as Primary PResident yesterday so I think I need the good advice and ideas that I know I will find here! and to refresh my memory of teaching young children again. your blog looks great! Keep up the good work

Gidget Girl Reading said...

here are 2 post i mr linky'd:

http://teachingtinytots.blogspot.com/2008/10/book-it-sunday-music.html

http://teachingtinytots.blogspot.com/2008/10/make-it-saturday-prop-box.html

Mom of Two said...

Here are my two posts on my blogs of books we are reading/singing/listening:

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=16863016&postID=1141090665924464237

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=16863016&postID=349339765119144191

Anonymous said...

What a great site!! Let me know if you would ever like a guest post once and awhile. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom ok so totally being honest, heard Abby singing it in her sleep :) such a fun book and scholastic has it in a video form too.