Thursday, April 17, 2008

Helping the Environment Some More

P.S. Dated 4/20/08 - We spent 30 minutes outside today and filled 6 Wal-Mart sacks full of small bits of trash in our back parking lot. Gross. But the kids had fun, and I loved teaching them about taking care of the environment!

Okay, I had great plans for today. Then my kids woke up with a sore throat/cough/fever, plus it is raining outside. So we will be doing this as soon as we can; I still, however, wanted to be a part of this week's challenge so I'm telling you what we are going to do.

There is a series of childrens' books called "Why Should I...?" that help children understand why it is important to take care of our world. I figure if I am reading to my children anyway, I may as well be reading something that will teach them important subjects as well as entertain them. I borrowed them from a friend and will be reading them with my children today. (And I may have to purchase them as well; they are really cute.)

Then there was an article in our newspaper yesterday about the elementary kids in a neighboring town "beautifying the downtown area as a service project in recognition of Earth Day." There is a cute picture of a little kid picking up trash and putting it in a plastic bag. I thought, "Perfect!" Our back parking lot is pretty trashed out, especially since the snow melted. So as soon as we start feeling better, we are going to put on gloves and clean up the huge parking lot area behind our condo. And, of course, I'll explain to the kids why we are doing this, including not wanting to see trash everywhere and helping make the Earth a little better, one step at a time.

1 comment:

Deneal said...

Oh! I love the sound of those books. I am definitely going to look them up when we get back to the states. Thanks for the great find.