Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Midweek Pick Me Up

My favorite poet of all time is Carol Lynn Pearson. Her poetry is generally short, to-the-point, and full of meaning. I simply adore everything she has written. This poem is called "Mother to Child."

Look -
Your little fist
Fits mine
Like the pit
In a plum.

I think,
In the time
Before remembering,
These two hands
Clasped companionably,
Then parted.

Help me, child.
Forgive me
When I fail you.
I'm your mother,
True,
But in the end
Merely an older equal
Doing her faltering best
For a dear
Small friend.

2 comments:

Deb said...

What an inspirational poem. I was having a rough day dealing with my two year old today and this poem gave me hope! What sweet children we are blessed to be parents to.

LizzyP said...

Thanks for posting that--I loved it.